Thursday 22 December 2011

Rowan + Wool Week + Liberty =

Alongside my lovely knitted textiles and fashion knitwear colleagues at the RCA, I was fortunate enough to be chosen as one of the RCA Rowan Design Award 2011 finalists. The brief was to re-invent British heritage knits using Rowan's British Sheep Breed yarns. I took on the cable - made it oversized and unpredictable using Rowan's Cocoon yarn. My cape design (there are armholes on the sides although you can't actually see them) went on display in Liberty London for the duration of September 2011.

My Knotted Cable Cape



I want to pass on a word of knitting wisdom...... after completing the garment, I was given one of the most useful gems of hand knitting advice to date - keep any yarns that shed, (along with your knitting) in the freezer, it stops the shedding. Sadly I was told this after I'd covered my entire flat and all my clothes in mohair fluff! Still finding remnants of it 3 months later....

No comments:

Post a Comment